Sunday, December 5, 2010

Light the Night Walk - 2010

Leukemia took my dad from me.

My Dad was diagnosed in 2006 with a rare blood disorder called Myleodysplastic Syndrome (also known as Pre-Leukemia). Since there is no cure for this disease, we had to wait until it turned into Leukemia before he could be treated. Less than one year after he was diagnosed, he passed away.

Mom and I found the Light the Night Walk the year after dad passed away. The walk takes place at dusk and everyone carries illuminated balloons. Red represents supporters, White represents survivors, and Gold represents lost loved ones.

This year I was not only walking in memory of my dad. One of my very dear friends 4.5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Pre B AL Leukemia in August. Have I mentioned that I hate cancer!!!
We love participating in the walk and raising awareness and money for the Leukemia society, but it's very emotional for us. This year, mom and I didn't walk it alone this year. I have an amazing group of friends that walked with us.

Oh, and our team raised $745!!

1 comment:

macfamilytx said...

That picture of you and your Dad is beautiful.

Next year we will raise even more!